Burcu Eke-Schneider is a peace worker from Ankara, Turkey. She began her career in journalism and in 2013 she covered the Gezi Park Movement as a freelance journalist in alternative media and international press. She was a Master-student in Peace and Conflict Studies Hacettepe University's Istanbul branch from 2014 to 2017, where she was taught among others by Johan Galtung, Jorgen Johansen, Stellan Vinthagen, Oliver Richmond, Norman Finkelstein, Joshua Weiss, Wolfgang Dietrich, Gal Harmat, Kai Frithjof Brand-Jacobsen, Zeki Ergas, Tatsushi Arai and Amr Khairy Abdalla. Hacettepe University shut down the department in 2015 but she obtained a Master's degree with her thesis subject being 'Identity-based Conflicts in between Resistance Groups during the Gezi Movement'. Since 2016, Burcu has attended several international conferences on non-violent resistance and science, especially on the interactions between practice and science to which they belong and on the transformation and social change of several actors. She is currently a PhD student at University of Wuppertal and her research focuses on inclusive transformation of the international community, especially on the participation of women with their cultural knowledge in urban development processes.In this context she is coordinating the network of the urbangardening peace project at the Alevi culture center in Wuppertal. The project which focuses inclusivity, strengtening of women, peacebuilding strategies, climate justice and biodiversity at mikro-level. She is an UrbanA Fellow and also a professional tour guide of Turkey and a certified expert on Istanbul and the work of the famous 16th century architect Sinan.
- 2018 - April AFK “"Welches Wissen(-)schafft Praxis?",presented “Identity-based Conflicts in between Newly-formed Resistance Groups during the Gezi Movement”Berlin.
- 2018 - June British Library “Non-violent Scholar Activism in the 21st Century” Conference, presented “Scholar-Activism within the Gezi Movement” London.
- 2018 - October London School of Economics “Revolution and Resistance “Conference, London.
- 2019 - June CSCP “The Avantgardenist Social Transformation Project” Presentation, Wuppertal.
- 2019 - September CSCP (Collaborating Centre on Sustainable Consumption and Production)Co-working.
- 2019 - September Kassel University “Decolonial Alternatives to Development” Conference, Kassel.
- 2019 - October 19th Global Development Conference 'Knowledge for Sustainable Development: The Research–Policy Nexus.' Bonn.
- 2019 - November Urban Arenas for Sustainable and Just Cities Meeting Rotterdam.
- 2020 - Tag des Guten Lebens Beirat Member.
- 2020 - February Urbangardening Peace Project in Wuppertal.
- 2020 - February Friedrich Engels: Die Aktualität eines Klassikers - The Timelines of a Historic Figure Wuppertal.
- 2020 - May Member of Wuppertal Institute Solidarity Platform.
- 2020 - June Urban Arenas for Sustainable and Just Cities Meeting Barcelona (via Zoom)
- 2020 - September European Sustainable Cities and Towns Conference (via Zoom)