Through practice in urban design, teaching, research, activism and volunteering, I have been involved in numerous and diverse initiatives in civic mapping for community-led planning, mostly in London and Paris.
In these 2 cities I am collaborating with hybrid metropolitan networks (residents + activists + practitioners + researchers/teachers) who support each other and lobby for community-led planning of just and sustainable cities : Just Space in London and Appuii in Paris.
Thanks to these collaborations and my different approaches of civic mapping, I have progressively set up a mapping methodology called justMap.
Vision on & relation to sustainable just cities
Inequalities as well as global warning and biodiversity loss are destroying our physical and social environment. I believe that only community-led approaches can address these challenges.
However these last years, I understood that these approaches won't be able to emerge within the framework of state and elective democracies such as they are for example in France or in UK, and I started being active in more radical social and ecological movements such as Les Gilets Jaunes or Extinction Rebellion.
I am now convinced that there won't be any signicative progress towards sustainable just cities without struggles against the big fishes responsible for the socio-ecologial disaster.
- mapping approach : http://justmap.eu/
- Curriculum in French_Dec 2018 : http://fonty.nicolas.free.fr/web/accueil_files/CV-nicolas_fonty-complet.pdf
- Curriculum in English_Aug 2017 : http://n.fonty.free.fr/travaux_principaux/CV-nicolas%20fonty_full_LT.pdf
- justMap in London (2016-2018): http://justplace-london.blogspot.fr/
- London network for community-led planning:https://justspace.org.uk/
- Paris network for community-led planning : https://appuii.wordpress.com/ + map_2020: https://lavilleatoutes.gogocarto.fr/
- Gilets Jaunes in Paris / Place des Fêtes (2018-2020) :http://www.lacabanejaunepdf.fr
- Nuit Debout 2016 : http://cartodebout.blogspot.fr
a few papers
- 2020, Mapping for Change submission : Planning struggles mapping : going beyond digital approach for building up solidarities.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I69677rFiX00OG0ESfehs6DcvjfumQmZB6Yee98v3r4/edit?usp=sharing
- 2019, PhD proposal / French : Cartographies pour un urbanisme démocratique dans les grandes métropoles. http://n.fonty.free.fr/PhD/CIFRE_Paris/Projet%20de%20these-CIFRE_2019-Fonty.pdf
- 2017, PhD proposal in English : What is the role of mapping for citizen-led planning in London ? http://n.fonty.free.fr/PhD/PhD-proposal_May22.pdf
- 2017, journal of Peer Productions : METROPOLITAN CIVIC MAPPERS: HOW CAN THEY COOPERATE TO INCLUDE THE PARTICIPATION OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC INTO THE CITIZEN PLATFORMS THEY PROMOTE? http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-11-city/experimental-format/metropolitan-civic-mappers/
- 2016: OCCUPY#PublicSpaces, a method for metropolitan collaborative mapping and citizen-led plan. http://n.fonty.free.fr/JustMap/blog/papers/CW-Occupy_en.pdf